Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My 1st Trimester Survival Guide

Well, now that I've been through the first trimester of pregnancy 3 times,
I consider myself a sort of expert on the subject.. 
Especially because this time I kinda feel like I figured it out.
As in, how to deal with all the crummy things that come with the first few months
of pregnancy, while having a full violin studio, 
and a very busy (and adorable) two year old.

Here's the quick background on my first 2 pregnancies:
With Piper, I was pretty nauseous the entire first few months, 
but I was only really sick a few times.
I was, however, super tired.
Since, at the time I didn't have a kid, and my job was flexible,
and I wasn't in school,
I just slept and did whatever I needed to survive.

With our little boy,
I was dying. 
I don't remember ever feeling worse.
I could barely keep down any food for days on end. 
It was rough. 
And Piper was still pretty little and not very independent. 
It was a tough few months on me and our little family.

This time around, I was pretty sick.
In fact, I knew I was pregnant before I was even able to take a test.
The nausea hit me fast and hard. 
I got drugs (the good ones) and was trying everything I could think of.
I just didn't want a repeat of the last pregnancy.
So, I did some research... 
I replaced drinking straight water with Gatorade or Crystal Light.
(Plain water made me SO SICK!) 
And I went completely off sugar. 
The first day I was off sugar I didn't throw up once.
It was like a miracle! 
And while it wasn't fool proof, I am convinced that's what saved me.
I still had some really rough days, and I hardly ever made it to church to do singing time, 
but it was so much better than last time!

So, if you find yourself pregnant and dying of morning (all-day) sickness.
Take sugar out of your diet. 
It worked wonders for me!
 And it was rough. All I want when I'm pregnant is sweets!
And its was Christmas!! So hard to stay away from all the goodies, 
but it was worth it!

Other things I recommend,
Keep a stock-pile of Fresca or Sprite on hand at all times. 
Saltines or crackers FIRST THING in the morning 
And don't rush to get out of bed!
Stop drinking at least 2 hours before going to sleep
(This helps with the whole waking up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom thing haha) 
Have a support system, especially some people who can watch kids when you need a break.
Take naps. You're tired because you're growing a tiny human.
Sleep when you can! You need it! 
(This also potentially keeps away some of the emotional breakdowns. haha)


And that's about it! 
It was just so wonderful to find something that worked for me, 
so I had to share!
Pregnancy is a wonderful thing,
but it can be really difficult! 

 And we're getting big FAST this time! 
This was a 2 weeks ago! 
Check out that bump! 
At this rate, I won't be able to see my feet in a matter of weeks instead of months.
ha ha!

Thanks everyone for all the love! 
We are seriously SO excited!! 

No comments :